Monday, December 1, 2008

"Half the art and all the craft are added in the second draft"

Now that NaNoWriMo has ended, and we are facing that seemingly structureless barren writing-wasteland of December, I just wanted to share a cute little poem to help encourage us through pounding out the rest of the books many of us began in November.

Congrats to all who finished! And, in fact, congrats to all who tried! It is a feat in itself to look such a challenge in the eye and say, "Why not?"

For my part, I did not meet my 75,000-word goal. But I still think I was successful, and I'm continuing on toward my ultimate goal of finishing and shopping the novel within the year.

So what about the rest of you? Did you finish? Are you still sane? What did you learn about the experience? Are you planning to continue your project, or will you use it to light your Yule log--or something in between? What is your ultimate writing goal for the upcoming year? I'm curious!

1 comment:

  1. LWE is a sharp guy; his Laws of Fantasy are great too, and most of them are adaptable to non-genre writing as well.

    For me, I did not make goal, though I sliced off a good wedge of story, and am satisfied. There's something to build on there. I think I'm going to revisit one of my unfinished projects first before I return to this, but I feel like this year's NaNo effort wasn't in vain (or at least I feel less that way now than when I was in the middle of writing it).

    ReplyDelete